Monday, September 26, 2011

Blog #3- Hardware

This week in class we discussed Chapter 4, which was Hardware and Computer Forensics. Internet and computer safety is of dire need in the modern computer world. Hackers and other online predators have the ability to access other user’s files and personal information. This information includes debit and credit card PIN numbers, Social Security Numbers, and phone numbers and addresses. With all of this information customers and consumers provide through business, it is important for the company to implement security programs. In relation to last week’s blog of privacy, I want to be able to avoid identity theft for my entrepreneurial design of a "Nonslip & Supportive Acro shoe", so that my website is completely protected in this regard. One of the main concepts I want to protect would be the personal information of customers given to make a purchase on my Web page for the "Nonslip & Supportive Acro shoe".  Identity theft can be a very invasive and disturbing situation in which you feel totally violated, and because this has recently happened to me, I would like to place more focus on this type of security for customers and consumers.
Some possibilities for internet programs include firewalls, pop-up blockers, and anti-virus software. Firewalls protect against outside intruders and detect when outsiders are trying to hack your computer. Once past a firewall, a hacker could also imprint a virus onto your computer, which changes how your computer works without you knowing of this. I definitely would not like to be accessing my entrepreneurial web page, and suddenly receive a virus on my computer. Both firewalls and anti-virus software is available through many companies, i.e., McAfee, Norton Security, etc.
The basic concept of computer forensics is finding info that you have left on a printer, fax, hardware, etc. that still remains accessible. Whatever you think you may have deleted, in fact still remains on your hard drive. Encase forensics is used to recover data that is supposedly removed. I want to make sure that if I were to buy or sell a hard drive on Ebay or Amazon that it is a new hardware. It is very easy to recover old information from a computer’s hard drive. I would not want my personal files disclosed in respect to my entrepreneurial design, if I were to sell my hard drive. To remove data from a hard drive you must destroy, disintegrate, incinerate, pulverize, shred or melt it.  

1 comment:

  1. Excellent job linking this to lecture. I enjoyed your well-written post.

    You're right -- security has never been more critical in today's information age. For businesses to survive selling products online, security must be a priority. The question I pose to you, to what extent must online business account for security before it begins to hinder usability. Security vs usability has been the center of arguments for years. When security becomes too much of a priority, it can impact usability, minimize the utility of the online site, and ultimately lead a business into financial trouble.

    Personal information is certainly important, as you mention, but what about your sites availability. If i want to buy shoes from you, it is critical I can access your site and make a purchase. How would you combat against DDoS attacks to ensure your site is always available?

    ReplyDelete